In support of the Village Board's goal to provide quality municipal services, many projects and programs were initiated and accomplished. The following are some of the Village's "Gold Star" accomplishments:
MAINTAIN AND ENHANCE PUBLIC SAFETY
- Worked with Bartlett on the protected left turn lane on Stearns Road at Redford Lane.
- Held three day training session on Responding to Terrorism/CBRNE incidents.
- Purchased a LIFEPAK-12 Heart Monitor.
- Received a $120,000 FEMA grant to upgrade SCBAs.
- Created three Battalion Chief positions.
- Increased full time staffing by one firefighter/paramedic per shift (3 employees).
- Took delivery of 2005 E-One Rescue Pumper for Station #2.
- Created and promoted additional lieutenant positions.
- Installed a computer in the EOC capable for Emnet communications.
- Recruited and trained five replacement police officers.
- Assisted SPEAR (Sexual Predator Enforcement Apprehension and Registration) by checking sex offender registrations.
- Instituted "Officer I Schools" education program.
- Trained investigators in audio/video taping. Installed the A/V equipment.
- Installed automatic vehicle locator system on department squad cars.
- Deployed two officers and four firefighters to assist in Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts.
- Purchase radio alerting system.
- Construct radio link data connection to Station #2.
- Finalize development of Field Training Officer program for new firefighters/EMTs and paramedics.
- Implement a security lighting program.
ENHANCE AND MAINTAIN THE PROPERTY VALUES AND VILLAGE APPEARANCE AS A QUALITY COMMUNITY
- Awarded a five-year contract for residential scavenger services to Allied Waste Services of North America LLC on June 2, 2005.
- Assisted the residential scavenger for the assembly and distribution of refuse carts to all residents under the Allied Waste contract.
- Developed model zoning ordinances.
- Reviewed drainage issues and developed new sump pump discharge requirements.
- Installed an arterial fence on north side of Lake Street from Mark Thomas to Walnut.
- Installed 8' fence along Army Trail Road from Woodlake Dr. to Sandpiper Dr.
- Updated and distributed the Solid Waste Services Newsletter including a return survey for the refuse cart program.
- Received the Conservation Foundation Award.
- Trimmed and pruned landscape at 11 islands and 2 retention ponds.
- Held three emergency brush pick ups due to storms.
- Received Tree City USA recognition for the twenty-first consecutive year.
STRENGTHEN COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT AND PARTICIPATION
- Formed a subcommittee on Educational Exchanges to share educational information between Cape Coast and Hanover.
- Attended the SCI national convention in Texas.
- Named Illinois Sister City of the Year for 2005.
- Collected $13,750 in corporate partnership donations.
- Completed a second CERT Basic Training Academy.
- Participated in Open Gym program.
- Conducted a National Night Out, Citizens Police Academy and Child Safety Seat Inspections.
- Developed a Citizen Corps Council.
- Held a COPS day picnic and two Maxwell Street events.
- Held the Deck the Homes contest in conjunction with the Holiday Lights Tour.
- Hosted the Lions Club/Village tree trimming event.
PURSUE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AS A STRATEGY FOR THE FUTURE
- Approved an agreement with the Northwest Suburban Association of Commerce and Industry (NSACI).
- Partnered with Village Profile to produce a Community Guide.
- Held a business breakfast.
- Approved a tax increment financing redevelopment plan (TIF #4) for the West Irving Park Road corridor.
- Attended the ICSC Chicago Deal Making Session.
- Negotiated a redevelopment agreement with E. Kinast Distributors, Inc., and approved the preliminary consolidation plat.
- Approved the final plat and the final planned unit development for the Church Street Station subdivision.
- Held grand opening of townhomes at Church Street Station.
CONTINUE TO REBUILD VILLAGE INFRASTRUCTURE
- Installed five new streetlights.
- Reconfigured the municipal complex parking lot.
- Substantially completed Lake Street construction.
- Resurfaced 5 miles of Village streets.
- Replaced 24,667 sq ft of sidewalk and 1,561 linear feet of curb and gutter.
- Worked with Neumann Homes to develop infrastructure and transportation improvement plans for Church St. Station.
- Awarded a contract for the 2005 Sewer and Water Improvements.
- Completed construction of water mains on Walnut, Pine Tree and Brookside Court.
- Oversaw construction of Village Hall/Lake St/Triangle Park landscaping.
- Completed storm sewer repair at Hartmann Tank and Muirfield Pond in Turnberry Lakes.
- Restriped Village Hall parking lot, installed new signage and poles.
- Installed 1,600 sq ft of sidewalk at Triangle Park.
- Designed and installed irrigation system on Lake Street medians.
- Purchased and installed 122 gator water bags due to drought conditions.
- Replaced water main on Peach Tree Street and Irving Park Road.
- Repaired several water mains due to dry conditions.
- Installed locks on 10 fire hydrants.
- Installed meters and radios in new construction areas.
- Approved bar screen replacement project at STP #1.
- Repaired clarifier #3.
- Seal coated driveways at Plum Tree, Jefferson, Westview, Turnberry and Savannah lift stations.
- Painted County Farm Road Lift Station.
- Televised 15,000 feet of storm sewer.
- Installed four bike racks at Com Lot as part of the CMAQ grant.
- Upgraded street name signage in DuPage County.
- Installed 6" water distribution valve at 6790 Pine Tree Street.
- Replaced 17 meters in Cook County apartments.
- Installed equipment for Leachate treatment and began treating Leachate at STP 1.
- Installed new bar screen equipment at STP 1.
PRESERVE FINANCIAL STABILITY AND REDUCE RELIANCE UPON PROPERTY TAX
- Oversaw construction of the T-Mobile Personal Communication Service (PCS) antenna system at the Morton Elevated Water Tower.
- Received a grant reimbursement of $20,000 from the Northwest Suburban Mass Transit District for the Commuter Lot Reconfiguration landscaping improvements associated with the realignment of Lake Street.
- Approved a Leachate Treatment Agreement between the Village and BFI Waste Systems of North America, Inc. on April 15, 2005.
- Received the GFOA Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting Award for FY 2004.
- Received GFOA Distinguished Budget Award for FY 2006.
- Reviewed summer sewer credit procedures and extended summer sewer credit two months.
SUPPORT AND ENHANCE STAFF TRAINING AND SERVICE CAPACITY
- Met with representatives of Integrated Telecom Systems to implement the replacement of the Village voice mail system and telephone system software upgrade.
- Met with representatives of Broadband Development 3 to discuss the establishment of high-speed data connectivity between the Evergreen Water Tower and Fire Station #2.
- Promoted a new Police Department Deputy Chief, a Lieutenant and two Sergeants.
- Conducted recruitment and testing for entry-level Police Officers.
- Held Stroke Awareness screening event.
- Held a community blood drive.
- Appointed Water Treatment Operator upon attainment of a Class C Water Operator's License from the IEPA.
- Processed 18 new hires, of which 8 were full time.
- Conducted recruitment and orientation for entry-level full- and part-time firefighters.
- Promoted a Building Maintenance Worker I to Building Maintenance Worker II positions.
- Promoted a new Equipment Operator in the Streets Division.
- Hired two new Building Maintenance Worker I employees and one part-time janitor.
- Tested and certified Police Lieutenant and Deputy Chief promotional lists.
- Promoted part-time Records Aide to full-time Records Clerk.
- Tested and certified a Fire Lieutenant promotional list.
- Promoted three Fire Lieutenants to the newly created positions of battalion Chiefs and promoted four employees to Fire Lieutenants.
- Enhanced web site by posting FY'06 budget, adding link to state site for sex offender listings, adding Maxwell Street application form and CERT application form.
- Designed and printed 8 handouts for Community Development.
- Designed and printed brochures for CERT, Rental Residential Inspection Program, Allied Waste Cart Usage.
- Purchased new postage machine.
- Purchased 18 CITRIX terminals and monitors.
- Purchased and installed new PCs in the police department.
- Conducted trench and excavation training.
- Constructed a new fiber optic system between the municipal building, Evergreen Tower and the new fire station.
- Worked with Fire Department to coordinate reviews and inspections of commercial and industrial permits.
- Trained two new Water Supply Operators.
- Conducted forklift operation and scissor lift training.