Skip navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

The department receives questions from citizens on a regular basis. To address those frequently asked questions, answers have been provided on this page. The questions fall into five topics:




Impounded Vehicles


Animal Questions

Top of PageQ. I am having a problem with wild animals. Will the police department respond and handle this?

A. The Hanover Park Police Department does not respond to wild animal complaints on private property. Removal of animals from private property is the responsibility of the property owner. Police personnel do not handle complaints regarding wild animals unless there is a clear and immediate threat to public health, safety, or welfare. The police department maintains a list of wildlife removal services. To obtain contact information for these services, contact the police desk at (630) 823-5500.

Criminal Questions

Top of PageQ. From where can I bond someone out?

A. Bond can be paid 24 hours a day in the lobby of the police department. The police department is located at 2011 Lake St. at the Police Headquarters which is approximately 1/2 mile west of Lake and Barrington/County Farm Rd. Cash and credit cards (Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express) are the only type of payment accepted. Checks will not be accepted.

Q. Can I visit someone that is in jail at the Hanover Park Police Department?

A. No. The Hanover Park Police Department does not have facilities for visitation and because of this limitation, visitation with prisoners is not allowed.

General Questions

Top of PageQ. How do I get a copy of a police report?

A. To obtain a copy of a police report, the requesting person must submit a freedom of information act request form by fax, mail or in person to the police department.

Q. How do a file a complaint against an employee or an officer?

A. In cases of minor complaints or questions about a traffic stop, you can call the department and request to speak with the on duty supervisor. In minor complaints, the supervisor will try to answer your questions and concerns. If necessary, the supervisor will take down the information, speak with the officer or employee and get back in contact with you to answer your questions, and bring your concerns to the attention of the officer. For formal complaints, the person filing the complaint must come to the Hanover Park Police Department station and speak with the on-duty supervisor.

Q. How do I send a compliment about an employee or an officer?

A. Just as we recognize that conflicts between citizens and agency employees can arise, we also realize that there are times when employees go above and beyond the call of duty. Law Enforcement employees, like everyone else, appreciate it when their good deeds are noticed. Too often they are remembered for the traffic tickets they issue or the arrests they have to make, and not for the thousands of helping hands they extend.

If an officer or employee of this department provides services that you feel they should be commended for, please write the Chief a letter or note to that effect, giving your feelings on what the officer or employee has done that deserves commendation. The Chief will see that it gets to the employee and that a copy is placed in the employee's personnel file. This boosts their morale and encourages them and all other officers and employees of the department to be more positive about themselves and the service they provide.  We are proud of the good relationship we share with the community. Please send them to:

Chief Dave Webb
Hanover Park Police Department
2011 Lake St.
Hanover Park, IL 60133

In 2013 the Hanover Park Police Department initiated a social media initiative.  Through the use of the "MyPD" phone application one can now submit an officer / employee compliment by simply clicking on a few boxes and pressing send on your smart phone.

Top of PageQ. Does the Village of Hanover Park have a severe storm siren or warning system?

A. Yes. The siren activation system for Hanover Park is maintained at the DuComm dispatching center and is an outdoor warning system. It may or may not be heard inside a building. An "all clear" tone is not utilized. If you believe you have spotted a funnel cloud, call 911 immediately. At that time, a weather spotter will be assigned to the area to confirm the sighting, and the siren will be activated.

Q. What do I do if I hear the steady tone from the siren? (Note: A steady tone may change in volume as the siren rotates to and away from the listener as the sirens are mounted on rotating platforms.)

A. If you hear a steady tone that lasts for three to five minutes, this tone is the ATTENTION or ALERT WARNING signal. This tone is only used in three instances.

A confirmed sighting of a tornado or funnel cloud aloft, reported by a trained weather spotter, within five miles of any point within the Village of Hanover Park

A confirmed sighting, by a trained weather spotter, of severe winds causing structural damage within five miles of any point within the Village of Hanover Park

The receipt of a tornado warning, issued by the National Weather Service, indicating that the Village of Hanover Park is in the direct path of an oncoming tornado.

In the event of activation of either of these warning signals, residents should move to a place of safety and monitor radio and television stations for additional information including the danger has passed. Please note that there is no siren activation to indicate the danger has passed.

Top of PageQ. What do I do if I hear the wavering tone from the siren? (Note: The wavering tone will rapidly change as the siren rotates. The steady tone should not be mistaken with the wavering tone.)

A. If you hear a wavering siren tone lasting three to five minutes, this is the ATTACK WARNING SIGNAL. The ATTACK WARNING SIGNAL means that an actual attack or missile launch against the United States has been detected and that protective action should be taken immediately. Per federal guidance, "this signal will be used for no other purpose and will have no other meaning."

Q. Does the Village of Hanover Park test the sirens?

A. The outdoor warning system is tested monthly in accordance with State and Federal regulations. During this test, the sirens are activated for a brief period of time on the first Tuesday of each month, shortly after 10:00 am.

To ensure the safety of Hanover Park residents, the Village maintains a siren monitoring system that exceeds State and Federal requirements. This system tests the ability of each siren to respond to an activation command. The monitoring system checks each siren daily to ensure the siren is operating properly, without actually activating the siren.

Impounded Vehicle Questions

Top of PageQ. If my vehicle is impounded, what is the procedure to get it back?

A. Vehicles are impounded for various reasons under village ordinance. The most common reason is from an arrest of a driver. The arresting officer will issue a form called Notice of Seizure to the driver which informs the driver why the vehicle was seized. A hold is placed on the vehicle until the penalty is paid. After a seizure occurs, the procedure to get it back is for the owner to come to the front desk of the police department and pay $500 to the clerk. The clerk will issue a receipt to the owner and notify the tow company that the hold is lifted. The owner will then have to go the respective tow company (Arties Towing, Redmon's Towing or Bloomingdale Towing) to get their vehicle. The owner is responsible for paying the tow company the towing and storage fee.

Q. If my vehicle is impounded, how do I appeal the reason it was impounded?

A. The owner of the vehicle can have a preliminary hearing for the impoundment within the first 24 hours. The owner will have to come to the front desk of the police department and tell the clerk that they want to have a hearing on the impoundment of the vehicle. The on-duty supervisor will conduct a preliminary hearing with the owner and determine whether the vehicle will continue to be impounded or not. If the owner is denied the return of the vehicle, the owner will then be contacted by the village in the form of a certified letter informing the owner when the hearing on the matter will take place. The owner can still obtain the vehicle back prior to having a hearing in front of the administrative hearing officer by paying the a $500 penalty and all towing and storage costs.

A hearing is held in front of a administrative hearing officer to determine whether the driver of the owner's vehicle was in violation of village ordinance or not. If the administrative hearing officer rules in favor of the village, the $500 penalty stands. If the hearing officer rules in favor of the driver, the $500 is returned to the owner.

Parking Questions

Top of PageQ. How do I dispute a parking ticket?

A. Beginning May 1, 2014, the Village of Hanover Park began utilizing an adjudication process for the mediation of all parking and local ordinance tickets.  If one is a resident of the Village and receives a parking ticket, on the ticket is a hearing date should you wish to be heard in regards to the violation.  Hearings are held at the Village Hall, 2121 Lake Street, Room 214.  Simply report on the date assigned and check in with the clerk.  Please be advised that in accordance with Article XVIII Sec 2-744(D)(4), if one is found liable at a hearing then a $100 court fee will be assessed on top of the initial fine of the ticket.

If one is a Non-Resident of the Village the individual may waive their appearance and submit an affidavit stating the facts or reasons for contesting the ticket.  These forms may be obtained at the Village Hall or at the Police Department front desk.  Please be advised that in accordance with Article XVIII Sec 2-744(D)(4) if the Adjudicating Judge determines one is liable then a $100 court fee will be assessed on top of the initial fine of the ticket.

Q. Does Hanover Park prohibit parking overnight on village streets?

A. Hanover Park prohibits parking overnight on village streets. Overnight parking is allowed on certain streets throughout the village which are posted with signs.

Q. How do I get permission to park my vehicle on the street between 2:00 am and 6:00 am?

A. If one has a computer, smart phone, I Pad, or tablet then night parks can be self entered by going to the following link: .  Complete the information as requested.  You will need a valid email address to complete the process, as residents will receive a confirmation email providing information and a confirmation number.  Residents will need this confirmation in the event that a ticket is issued in error.  In the event one does not have a computer or internet access we will be happy to help over the phone.  Simply call 630-823-5500.

Q. Can I park my vehicle across the sidewalk?

A. Except between the hours of 9:00pm on each day of Sunday through Thursday until 7:00am of the following day, and except between the hours of 9:00pm on Friday and on Saturday until 9:00am of the following day, no person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle on any sidewalk or parkway.  At no time shall any portion of any parked vehicle extend into any roadway.

Top of Page