Skip navigation
Public Works

Reporting Problems

Please contact the Public Works Department at (630) 823-5700 during the hours of 8:00 am - 4:30 pm to report any of the following problems.

In the case of after hour emergencies, please contact the Police Department at (630) 823-5500.

  • Water Main Breaks.
  • Flooding.
  • Sanitary Sewer Backup - The Village will check the sewers to determine if the backup is in the sanitary sewer mains and will let the resident know whether or not the problem is their responsibility.  Homeowners are responsible for the maintenance and repair of the sewer service from the house to the main sewer line. Homeowners are encouraged to call the Village prior to calling a plumber.
  • Missing Street Signs.
  • Sidewalk Complaints.
  • Water Taste/Odor Problems - During the summer months some water customers have noticed a distinctly different taste and odor to the water.  The quality and purity of the Lake Michigan water supply is in no way affected by this change in the taste.  The "earthy" taste results from an increase in the temperature of the Lake Michigan water which causes an increase in the algae growth.  A temporary solution to this problem is to store your drinking water in the refrigerator.

Streetlight outages and backyard drainage complaints are handled by the Engineering Department.  Click here to go to the Reporting Problems page in the Engineering section of our website.