What do I do if I receive a Termination Notice?

The quickest and easiest way to verify your account balance is to log into your water account at the Village’s Website (hpil.org) and check your balance. You are also able to view past bills and make payments here as well. You will need your account number and the name on your account, as found on your bill.

If you have not yet made your payment, remit payment before the due date on the Termination Notice to avoid further penalties and service interruption.

Show All Answers

1. Am I eligible for the Discounted Rate for the Infrastructure Service Charge?
2. When is my water bill issued and/or due?
3. How do I Sign up for Water and Sewer Service / Add a Tenant to my Water Billing Account / Make Changes or Update information on my Water Billing Account / Sign up for Auto Payment Bank Drafting?
4. What happens if I don't pay my water bill by the due date (21st of the month)?
5. What do I do if I receive a Termination Notice?
6. I am selling my home in Hanover Park, what do I need to do?
7. Do I need to purchase a transfer stamp for a quick claim deed?
8. How do I pay for my Parking Ticket?
9. What if I receive a letter or call from a Collection Agency representing Hanover Park?