Insured / Not Insured Property

If You Are Insured

The first thing to do after the fire is to contact your insurance company or agent as soon as possible. If you are renting or leasing the property, you must contact the owner. Your insurance adjuster may be able to assist you in making immediate repairs or help in securing your home.

If you are unable to contact your agent and need professional assistance in boarding up your home, you may contact a general contractor or a fire damage restoration firm. (Refer to your yellow pages, under Contractors-General or Fire and Water Damage Restoration.)

To obtain a copy of the Fire Report, you may complete a Freedom of Information Request (FOIA) either online or in person.  Instructions can be found at Freedom of Information Requests | Hanover Park, IL (

If You Are Not Insured

If your property is not insured, or if your insurance will not cover your losses, contact your family lawyer or the Internal Revenue Service for directions. You may be eligible for causality loss; check Publication 547, Tax Information on Disaster, Causality and Thefts, available from your local Internal Revenue Office.

If you are not insured and need assistance, the American Red Cross or Salvation Army is available to assist families who have been displaced from their homes through any type of disaster. They are available around the clock, every day of the year, with food, clothing, and housing.